City of God is an astounding movie. A very entertaining drama. City of God is 2002 Brazilian Crime Drama. The movie is fully scripted in Portuguese and read in English subtitles. A foreign movie that went mainstream in North America. A great feat in itself. I really enjoyed this movie. At first I was very weary of watching this movie due to the English barrier. I will tell you right now that is not a problem at all. The film is very entertaining. I have a hard hard paying attention to movies. This movie caught my eye right from the beginning and I never looked away.
The movie is based around the worlds most notorious slums of Rio De Janeiro. It tells the story of two childhood who grow up to be the complete opposite. One becomes a photographer and the other a drug kingpin. The movie follows each friend throughout their youth and teenage lives.
I give City of God. 4 out of 4 stars, I really enjoyed this movie. I enjoyed the crime aspect of the movie. I also enjoyed the inside look of the Slums of Rio. The movie itself really showcases the sick and twisted nature of crime as well as corruption within the Rio police force. I really enjoyed the way they protrayed both of these themes. Yes, I recommend this movie. The subtitles may be a bit of a turn off but if you can overcome that this is a very great movie. As well as being very entertaining. So I say guess go see this movie as soon as possible.
Thanks for the tip. I will check it out when I can. Since you are acquiring a taste for subtitles, you might enjoy The Intouchables (on Netflix). It's set in Paris, France but it is a really great movie.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, your review seems solid. I like the way that you touch on the videography. When doing film reviews, you want to try to touch on as many different aspects of film making as possible. Casting, acting, continuity, editing, the soundtrack and directing are all elements I hope you will reflect upon any time you see a good film.
Also, I am really glad to see you producing a good deal of material quickly. Just be sure to give everything a thorough edit before you declare yourself finished with it. Think of the corrections you are making as "marginal marks." So, if you find half a dozen errors, you could be lifting your grade from a 78 to an 83...